Some links in this post may be affiliate links, meaning that the retailer gives you the same great price, but I will also receive a small amount of compensation. I only ever share my *favourite* stores and products in my blog posts.

Sunday, December 5, 2010


This morning we had a break-in at the house. We were all home, and I saw the guys as they approached to break the windows. We are all SAFE! No injuries, and feel at peace - even the kids.... The whole thing only lasted at the most 5 minutes.

I'll start at the beginning - I had just gotten out of bed with Mya at about 6:40. The way our house is setup, it is one long rectangle with the lounge/dining room kitchen at one end, and then the bedrooms down the passage, with a security gate between the two sections. So, I had opened the security gate and sent Mya out to the lounge while I got her stuff to do her hair. As I walked back down the passage the dogs were out back barking and it caught my attention, so I Brandon's bedroom window and saw them. One came through Brandon's window and the other broke the kitchen window. Brandon was woken by the window breaking, but has a tent around his bed, and stayed in it so they didn't even know he was there. When I saw them approaching I screamed to Brad that someone was coming into the house and that Mya was in the lounge, so I ran back to our bedroom to push the panic button and he ran to the lounge and hid her in the couch. She stayed under the pillows and didn't move. 

Once they were in there was no screaming/yelling. I had run back to make sure Brad got to Mya and the kids were ok, and the men approached me in the passage. I just shrank down and hugged my knees and said a couple of times that I had pushed the panic button and they left me and went to the lounge and approached Brad, so I went back down the passage and locked the kids and I in the bedrooms. Marissa got up to see what was going on and I sent her to Brandon's bed. Brad just told them take whatever you want, and they took our 2 laptops and Brad's wedding ring. Brad told them he had some nice tools out back and tried to convince them to go out. One guy came back to the security gate and tried it, but realized it was locked and went out the kitchen window. The other guy stayed by Brad and "threatened" him with a broken bottle, but Brad says he in no way felt threatened. He felt that there was no way that the guy would follow through on his threats. He had time to unlock the back door while the guy was looking around and push the panic button there. He let the guy out the back door and they jumped over the side wall and back down the street.

The police and security were here within minutes. They looked for them but didn't find them.

We are taking the opportunity tomorrow to start putting electric fencing around the side wall of the house. We already did the front, but they came through the neighbors garden and jumped their wall. We are also installing security bars on all the windows, so that they can't break through that way again.

Living in Johannesburg, we knew that it was not "if" it would happen, but when, and basically have had the opinion that they could take whatever they wanted.

I and am so grateful for God's protection. God made His presence so real to us through it all, and we really feel at peace. 

No comments:

Post a Comment